Monday, August 15, 2011

Thurs August 11, 2011


Yesterday was Independence Day for Ecuador. Not sure if I mentioned it or not. The president “moved” the holiday to Friday so that the weekend could be extended. No one really talked about it or did anything special for it, which seemed kinda odd because Ecuadorians are so orgulloso (proud) of everything else in their country, you’d think they would want to celebrate Indepencence day. Maybe more will be going on this weekend.

Family day was today. It went fairly well I would say. We spent the morning doing the last of our tec stuff. Bibi and Lila (our health PCVL) talked to us about the quarterly progress reports we have to do. They seem really intense with many details but are important for feedback to Washington.

Lila seems really cool! The PCVL (PC volunteer leader) are volunteers that have decided to stay on a 3rd year and support the new volunteers at their sites or to just be there for any other moral support that’s needed. At the end we put paper on everyone’s back and went around writing something positive about that person.

The rest of the morning was dedicated to getting ready for family day. I forgot to say earlier how I woke up at 6 AM to make guac. It turned out really good! When Cesar (the cook) came later he helped me chop the onion. It was super strong and made both of us cry, lol

We did these different activities; tye-die, bracelet making and putting our hand prints on the world map that youth and families painted. People started showing up around 1:30, even tho the food wasn’t supposed to get there till 2. We had a ton of different food that people brought and then had chicken ordered in. My family didn’t show up till 3 and the only thing that was left was chicken! Ecuadorians max when it comes to potlucks. Now we know to serve them and not let them serve themselves. Some families made sperarate dessert plates just to take home! I barely got dessert.

The dance and theatre taller did on indigenous dance and then presented Romeo and Juliet..really funny. There was face painting and a couple piñatas. Then a person from each group said a little something and we gave them the family foto with the frame. Afterwards there was futbol and basketball. I showed Lucy the huertos and Sol and Amelia played on the playground equipment.

We went home around 5 and at about 6 I left to go to Cumbaya. Tom, Portia, Rebekah, Chloe, Jasmine, Alex A. and Katie came too. Tom, Portia and I got Mexican food and met up with everyone at the shawarma place after. It was pretty much our last night together-for the weekends because Portia and I are leaving for the oriente/selva/jungle tomorrow. I would’ve liked to go out but I have to wake up at 5 so there was no way. Portia and I took a taxi back around 9 and now I gotta pack. We leave for Misahualli tomorrow, close to Tena. I can’t believe I’ll be going back.
Night

No comments:

Post a Comment