Monday, August 29, 2011

August 28, 2011

What a weekend! So FRIDAY: I went to church with the family. They had different activities going on like soccer, ping pong and show making. The different neighborhoods were playing in a tournament so I went ot watch. All was fine till they introduced me to the missionaries; two young guys, one from Mexico and hte other from the states. I had met them once before but hadn´t really talked to them. So the gringo and I talked. He told me he was from Utah (surprise surprise) and I told him I was from WI. And he was like "oh my brother studies at the med school in Madison". I told him I was from Madison and then he goes "yeah, well there are a lot of black people there so it´s pretty dangerous".

I couldn´t help but laugh, but he was completely serious!!! WTF?! And to top it all of he then goes "Have you heard of the church?" First off Im literally sitting by the cour that´s on church property. Plus I liave with mormons. Ya think I´ve heard of it?!?! Uy.

After that encounter I was done. 1st off ocmpletely amazed that people still have that mindset and even worse, those are the type of people the mormons are having go out into their community to get others to join the church. That´s just wrong.

SATURDAY:
I woke up at 6 to work out with my host dad and other runners. Turns out it´s kinda like an open work out class. There were a variety of ages and skills. To be honest it wasn´t really hard nor really easy. Just the right way to start out my exercising life, lol. Im glad that I have the gym though because I like to do my own thing and it seems that my host dad is really just into running. And I´d rather do a little bit of everything.

Came home and host mom hadn´t made breadfast. THANK GOD! So I made tea and granola. It was amazing. I showered, then met Shannon downtown. We walked around a bit, had lunch then went to the internet cafe. She´s in a really small community so hadn´t checked e-mail for the past week. She left around 2:30 and I headed to my house to drop some stuff off and then met Sharon and Julie downtown again at 4. We went to see what things she had to give away/possibly sell to us. I got some nice toiletries;lotion, mousse, cotton balls, shampoo. I also got her brand new Georg Foreman grill!! I paid her $20, cuz most of the stuff was brand new and brought from the states. I then headed to kim´s place. She was a full bright volunteer at the University last year and recently got a teaching position there. We went to a basketball game of her guy friends. Afterwards we went to Chino´s- a good friend of hers. He had to shower and get ready and what not so we went to get these amazing hamburgers off a street vender. Sooo good!

We went back to his house and the team came over. One of the guys is like the spitting ecaudorian image of Mr. Daniel Bloom, for those of you reading this who know him, lol. The guys name is Pepe and apparently he´s really intelligent and driven, which is odd to find here especially at his age.

We went to this club and they said it was open bar so we paid $7 adn once we were in they told us it wasn´t. Although I wasn´t really interested in drinking any they wanted to leave so we got our money back and went to this hooka place. Apparently Chino knows the owner through basketball. They had really good music so the 9 of us got out on the dancefloor and started the dance party!! It was awesome! Towards the end we were dancing sals and merengue. The guys were such good dancers, and very patient with me trying to learn, lol.

SUNDAY:
Got home at 2:30 and woke up at 9 in order to shower before skyping with Nat. Had the same breakfast that I always have..ugh..went to shower but there was no pressure so I skipped on it and tried to skype with Nat. Didn´t work so well but we at least were able to chat. Good to hear from her and get the updates. Talekd to Lauren for a bit, she´s outside of RioBamba. It sounds like she´s had her ups and downs but for the most part is doing well at her site. I then went to Sharon´s to met up with her and Julie.

We walked all the way to Parque de la Familia. It was quite the treck but really pretty. We came back to Sharon´s and made sandwiches, had fruit salad and Mora juice. I was in heaven!! Sharon pretty much has the second floor to herself which has a kitchen, living/dining room, bathrooms, the whole shabang.

We then went to pick up our stuff at Julie´s downtown. I came back with all my stuff and then decided to go to the Megamaxi to buy some food. I steamed veggies and made a pb & j. As Im cooking my family comes home, clearly see me making food and then when Im just about done eating they come into the kitchen and are like, vamos raquel, lets go get food... I was kinda annoyed becuase they CLEARLY saw me eating. I had already walked several miles and was NOT hungry. We walked to this place that looked pretty good. I just had a "pincho" which is like a kabab. It was nice though because Raul´s (host brother that lives and works in Guayaquil) fiancee Teresa talked to me most of dinner. She is really nice and asked me all these questions that you´d think my host family would be interesting in knowing about me. It then started pouring down rain so we took a taxi home, thank god, because I was so tired from walking early that day.

Alrighty I believe that´s sufficient weekend updates, till next time, chaoo

No comments:

Post a Comment