Thursday, July 7, 2011

July 3, 2011 Surprise Sunday

You know how you’ve got those days where you’re kinda surprised how it ends up? That would be today in somewhat of a nutshell. So we had this “family breakfast” at 8 am. Of course we didn’t make it till 9. We arrived and there were tons of people in the house. I'm still not quite sure who was related and who wasn’t. “Breakfast” started with a traditional soup called Yahuar Locro, a sheep intestine soup accompanied with fried sheep blood. I opted out on the blood. Then we had a plate of rice, potato salad and chicken. I was then offered Chicha, which is this indigenous drink made out of fermented maiz. From what I’ve heard it’s supposed to be awful. They must of made a good batch because I thought it was pretty tasty.

After eating we proceeded outside. Some people were getting costumes ready for a parade. Then shots of whiskey were passed around. It’s 9:30 AM going on 10 AM mind you. I then found out that the Pueblo was celebrating ‘Corpus Christi’, a celebration to give thanks for the harvest. Various groups dressed in different indigenous dress, danced in this parade around the main plaza/park. It was pretty neat, the first 2 hours that is. Everyone proceeded to consume large amounts of alcohol and converse. Lucy went back and forth to the car to rest because she had arrived home around 4 AM that morning and had to get up at 5 to go to the market.

The festivities were to go well into the night. We left at 4 pm I was ready to go by then. It was quite the experience and well worth it! Tomorrow is the 4th of July, doesn’t feel that special here. We have classes the morning and then a sports tournament in the afternoon. I'm going to play volleyball and soccer if they need me.

No comments:

Post a Comment