Tuesday, July 26, 2011

July 24, 2011 Sunday

So last night was really fun! A bunch of us went out to Mariscal in Quito. Andres met us there, crazy to think it’s been 2 years since I’d been there. The bar/club we went to was super touristy but still fun. We met two professional basketball players playing for UTE, the Ecuadorian basketball team. One was from Texas and the other from Milwaukee.

Today went to watch the Copa America at Cumbaya with Portia, Tom, Kris, Sean and Rebekah. Uruguay kicked Paraguay’s butt 3-0. I picked up my laundry that I had dropped off this morning, came home and sort of crashed. I watched Motorcycle Diaries-uh such a good movie. Family came home and so that was nice to see them. Put clothes away and made my bed, ate dinner and watched some of who wants to be a millionaire-high school edition. Funny to watch with my host dad because he likes to guess the answers but most of the time will be wrong but never really admit it.

We also watched a bit of the news. Apparently these news writers are being fined 40 million dollars and being put to jail for 3 years for pretty much calling Correa a dictator and some other things. I find it interesting because it sounds like there is freedom of speech here and you’d think that would fall under it. Correa as the president should be used to getting negative remarks. I don’t think his life wasn’t threatened. My host dad seems to think that the writers deserve it because they are supposed to respect the president. At the same time though aren’t they supposed to be harsh critics? Who knows but now each of these men are out 10 million dollar and will lose 3 years of their life to prison…chances are they won’t do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment