Monday, June 20, 2011

Wed. June 15, 2011

So today was exciting! We were able to leave the training camp..er I mean facility and travel to Quito to visit the office there. It took 1.5 hours all in all. 1st we al met at the park in Tumbaco. Then took the bus into Quito. From there we hopped on the Trolebus and then took another train type thing to where we would get off and walk to the office.

It was really nice to be in Quito and se places that used to be everyday routine. The Peace Corps office is just down the street from where the old CIMAS building used to be. I was telling my Spanish teacher about the program and it turns out she used to work for CIMAS as a Spanish teacher! She knew the people from CIMAS and everything! Small world right?!? (p.s. for those of you who don't know, CIMAS was the study abroad program I did the spring semester of my sophomore year in college)

The Peace Corps office is hidden in a way. There are no signs to show that it’s PC. They took an old house-huge house and turned it into offices. It’s a really neat place, everyone was super nice. We were able to get the full tour. Then they sat us down and gave us a charla on security!! At this point it’s practically unnecessary. Everything is such repetition!! They even brought a taxi to show the correct signs of a safe taxi. This in theory is a good idea but at least for me, I’d had enough.

Then another guy talked about all the finance stuff. It was good to see what money goes where, etc..his presentation was much more engaging! We left around 2 and actually got back to Tumbaco early! I went with some people to get boots for working the garden tomorrow. Then we met up with others to get drinks. It was really fun to hang out with people outside of training. It was the 1st time that I had and now I feel a lot more connected with people

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment