Tuesday, June 18, 2013

jobs, jobs and jobs

So I´ve been in the process of looking for, and applying to jobs.  I had about a two week span where I spent quite a bit of time on this.  I applied to a total of 5 and of those 5 one asked me for an interview, two have passed on my resume to the hiring manager and the others I haven´t heard from.

I had an interview for a job in Washington D.C and it went fairly well.  It was my first job interview in a long time.  We´ll see what they have to say in about a week.  I finally contacted Planned Parenthood because I applied on the 24th of may and according to their website the job is still available and my application materials are active on my profile page.  I called the PPH office in madison where the job is being offered.  The lady said it would be better to contact Milwaukee where they have their administrative headquarters.  So I called Milwaukee, the lady that answered transferred me to an HR person.  Well that lady didn´t answer.  I did what I could and left my name, why I was calling and my e-mail.  All of the people who answered the different phone calls were very nice and the lady that I left my e-mail with actually e-mailed me back!  She said that the hiring manager was on vacation and that my resume had been forwarded to her....so who knows, I´ll have to try again next week to see whats up.  In that whole time I spent about $3.00 in skype money, which isn´t bad.   But it´s def harder to do this job stuff when you are thousands of miles away..I´ll keep at it, but I´m not super hopeful that anything will result in a job offer.  The good thing is I´ve had an interview and I hope at least one of the places that passed on my resume will contact me for another.  I need the practice!

Time is coming to an end.  I have my money to buy my plane ticket but just can´t decide when to leave.  It´s become so real now that I have to get my ticket...scary and exciting at the same time!  I also may be going to Argentina.  Well not maybe, it´s pretty much for sure, I just need to coordinate with Hannah (my friend that I will be visiting there) to fill out my vacation request form.  The PC director already approved me traveling internationaly (bc technically it´s not allowed the last three months).  So I figure I should go!!  I will probably be going the end of July, beginning of August.

The volunteers who said that they would buy some of my stuff as I leave are now saying no because PC apparently has everything they need.  Im hoping to maybe find other Americans that are working at the University for another program and see if they are interested.  I also need to talk to my landlord family about how we will do the payments for August since I will not be there the whole month...

Other than that it´s really a matter of wrapping stuff up.  I have one last project that I´m helping Fernanda with.  We did the application of a survey for the Jurisprudencia Facultad on their knowledge of HIV-AIDS.  The next step is to see the results and create different trainings-educational sessions on the things that the students did not score high on.  After that do the same survey and see how much their knowledge has improved.  Im waiting on Fer to send me the presentation so I can edit it.

Natalie comes on Sunday.  It has been so hard to get a hold of her to talk and schedule, and even today when we talked she was in the midst of taking down her classroom.  It will be good to have her undivided attention when she is here.  I think she really needs some vacation, with the process of a new job and moving.  She´s really got a lot on her plate and a nice vacation to Ecuador will do her well :)

Chino´s playing on the professional basketball team here from Ambato (Comunikt).  He hasn´t been called to play at the majority of the games, but today ¨le convocaron¨ .  So hopefully they will put him in for a couple minutes!

Sharon left on saturday.  It was sad to see her go and haven´t heard from her since, oh well, such as life.  It´s nice though to have Kim here for the summer.

I´ll sign off here!  Peace Corps newbies come on monday to do cooking demo with some University students.  Im excited to meet them and get to talk to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment