Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Saturday, Sept 10, 2011

Had to wake up early again because I was off to Riobamba for the day. It's a really easy trip to make, just about an hour in bus. I met up with Shannon, Orrin and Lauren. We walked around a bit, went to a couple markets and then ran into Sylvia and Anne! A while later Chloe and Nick showed up. Talk about a gringo fest, lol. We went to eat at this really good Mexican restaurant. At this point I wasn't feeling so hot. Lack of sleep ad not having eaten the greatest was most likely the cause of it.. After lunch we went to this cafe and people got beers, I had chamomile tea, haha. Some other volunteers from other omnibuses stopped by, it was nice to meet and chat with them.

Shannon and I headed back around 4 to Ambato. Riobamba's a pretty neat city. Much more flat than Ambato. They have a nice market and some neat old buildings but I don't know, by the end of the day I was ready to go back. Ambato is really starting to feel like a place that I belong to, now that I have friends and a good work environment. The bus ride was quite interesting. When we arrived to the terminal they said there were seats on this one bus, so we got on and clearly it was packed with NO seats. I told them I wasn't going to stand so they were like, oh here you guys can sit behind the driver. Four of us squished on this bench type thing. By this time I was really feeling sick. Stomach cramps, nauseous, just really crappy. I couldn't even sleep because of the lack of space. We arrived in Ambato and I took a cab to my house. Shannon took the bus. I was trying to get to Kim's to catch a ride with Pepe to go to the economistas house. The economista is the basketball coach for the group of guys that Im friends with. He was having a little get together at his house. I didn't quite make it to Kim's on time but it worked out that Chino was just getting out of class so we could take a taxi together.

So I get to his house at 6:45, he's still getting ready, lol. By 7:30 his dad was supposed to be back so we could take the car...he wasn't... Chino's mom made me oregano tea for my stomach, which actually did help. His dad never showed up so we eventually just took a cab and finally arrived at the economistas around 8. Good thing we hadn't gotten there earlier because they weren't doing much, lol. I had a hot dog because I figured I needed to eat something. Then there was dancing for like the rest of the night. Poor Kim was really sick and wanted to go home but couldn't so she slept till everyone was ready to leave, which wasn't till around 2 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment