Friday, August 19, 2011

Thursday, August 18, 2011

And so it begins! Yesterday we had our swearing in ceremony. It took place in the training center. Really sunny which meant really hot. Janett, training manager said a few words and then Parmer, country director spoke. Sharon/Joey spoke from the TEFL group, Orrin spoke from our group and Ben spoke from youth and families. All the speeches were really great. Then came the big moment..actually taking the vow-repeating after the rep for the ambassador. Well he must not have experience with swearing people in because he didn't have us repeat the whole phrase! We did raise our right hands and state our names, lol.

There were little snacks afterwards. VAC-like the student congress of PC was going ot feed us but changed it to just an ice cream social. Rebekah, Nick and I went to Cumbaya to get Shawarma then headed back for the ice cream. We played kickball and got to know some of the VAC volunteers better. Later in the evening everyone met in Tumbaco at one of the restaurants/bar and said our goodbyes. Then later some of us went into Cumbaya for a bit..

......

Today was a sort of productive day. I woke up at the normal time, had breakfast and got my laundry all gathered up. I dropped it off at the laundry mat and stopped by the restaurant to say hi. My host dad had left early in the morning to get there and I hadn't seen them since yesterday afternoon because I was out most of the evening.

After that I headed to Quito to meet with Emilia from CIMAS; my college study abroad program. The semester after our group, they switched buildings and boy is it nice! The view is amazing, overlooking Quito. Kind of far North, not super central like ours was but still neat. I had a really good convo with Emilia and talked to another student who is just finishing a med program through CIMAS-from minneapolis actually.

Afterwards I stopped by Quicentro to look for a dress. Didn't ahve much luck. I found one but wanted to wait and see what I could find at Ventura mall in Tumbaco. I came back and ate at the restaurant then texted Portia to see if she had arrived in Ibarra yet. Apparently her group was about to meet in the park to leave. So I headed over and said one last good-bye. It then started to rain, so I waited it out and grabbed my clothes.

Dropped off the clothes and headed to Ventura Mall. I also put together some photos to give to my host family and for me to keep. I went on the search for a dress and actually found one! I wanted to make sure the shoes matched so I asked her to hold it for me and she said she couldn't...lets hope it's there tomorrow. I then proceeded to get the pictures developed. I should've done that 1st because they were going to take a 1/2 hour to develop. So I wondered around the mall a bit and all of a sudden a huge Thunderstorm came and knocked out the power twice! I returned after the 1/2 hour to get the photos but because the power went out they weren't able to get all the photos done and said to come back in 10 minutes.

15 minutes later they still werent ready, so I said I would come back the next day. By this time I was really frustrated and had to walk home in the rain. Tomorrow Im getting the dress and pictures and hopefully starting to pack!!! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment