Monday, April 8, 2013

April, and the months begin to fly by

So much to write but I will try to write the most important stuff.

Annie came and it was amazing!  Such a great time to be with friends from the states.  The new airport is a pain in the ass but it all worked out and I hope she liked the little bit of ecuador that she saw!

Working with the girls on creating some other small projects before the school year ends.  It is going to be hard to leave them in June when school ends.  We so hope that Bianca, the ecuadorian that is working with us, can keep working with the girls.  Sadly there will be no volunteers in Ambato next year, from none of the programs.  The closest one will be in Chibuleo, and sounds like they will have a lot of work to do, so can't count on a volunteer to take the reins.  We believe in Bianca and she has shared with us that she will continue, but is worried about getting the respect that we receive as foreigners in the school.  We are going to have a meeting with the director to lay everything out on the table and I think they will be supportive.

Im finishing up at the University.  Planning ANOTHER health fair (I know, I know I agreed to never do another one, how do they convince me to do these things?!?!?!) for next week and then finishing up with doing sex-ed charlas at the University.  I think it will be a nice transition out of the University.  As of right now we don't have carpas or the coliseo to use, so hoping we can get Fer's Universty to help us.  It's amazing how stuff falls apart right at almost the last minute, BUT at the last second everything works out ;).  The most important thing that I've learned here is to be patient and that things seem to work out.  After several visitors I now realize how up-tight and stressed americans can be about little things that here people don't worry about.  I still have my moments, where I freak out, but in general I feel that I've adapted to being more relaxed, not sure how that's going to work out for me when I return :/

Having so many different wave's of emotions about finishing my 27 months here in Ecuador.  It has gone by so incredibly fast and at times I can't imagine leaving this place.  Sometimes I get excited and sometimes I am so sad.  Im sure August will be the worst emotional rollar-coaster.

Have had some future PCV's contact me about questions after reading my blog, yayyyy people read my blog.  Love answering questions and am so jealous of those who will be coming in May.  This has been the most amazing life changing experience!!

Getting ready for Nat in June!!!!

On another note I had an American friend here in Ambato in one of the public hospitals.  She ended up going to the hospital that I told her NOT to go to.  I went to visit and for the first time encountered free third-world health care.  All tests and stay were free but every medicine, etc. she had to pay for.  No toilet paper, no cups to take pills, horrible sanitation, def eye opening.  Ecuador has free health care, although it may not be up to par with private hospitals it's something right?  After two days of really not knowing anything she went to a private hospital in Quito where the care was much better.  Thank god for Peace Corps and "Peace Corps Insurance"!!
















1 comment:

  1. Yay for volunteers coming in May!!! Thanks for all your help, we started a Facebook group where we share info and stuff, it's been great!!

    ReplyDelete