Thursday, July 19, 2012

Birthday a week away

One week from today and I will be celebrating yet another birthday here in Ecaudor.  Crazy to think that a year ago I was celebrating in Tumbaco around all volunteers and this year will be only with Ecuadorian.

Life updates..hmmm lets see.

Work is always interesting and changing from week to week.  I don't really mind the change especially when the change is for more work and for work that I actually enjoy but at times it can get frustrating feeling that at times I don't have a solid work plan all the time.  Flexible, flexible, flexible, gotta keep thinking; just keep swimming just keep swimming!!  But the good news is I believe the smoke is clearing.

I have high hopes for this new director that came just over 2 months ago.  As I think I mentioned before we have been progressing with project plans, proposals, etc..she is a vigorous worker and gets things done.  I feel like I have a lot more say in what I do and because I've been here a year I know people better, they know me and we can plan work together.  I totally understand what other volunteers mean when they say that after the two years they finally feel like they are starting something.

For this coming semester it looks like my main work will be helping out with this transformation in the cafeterias here on campus.  I can proudly say that I with two other "helpers" successfully did over 900 surveys with University faculty and students on the quality of service of the cafeterias and transportation at the UTA.  We then organized data to create this massive presentation for the director.  The results show that the majority of people are not happy with the service.  Our goal is to go in and train the workers on things like hygiene, nutrition and presentation (uniforms, organization, etc.  I would really like to switch out all of the unhealthy food for more healthy food but I think these steps are the first that need to be completed.

Besides this I have been conversing with the other social worker about doing work with her and the doctors in the workshops on HIV/Aids  awareness.  Last week we planned out a couple of programs that we will do for World Aid's day (Dec 1st), so Im happy that that is on the calendar.  Speaking of HIV/Aids, I traveled to Riobamba to talk with Orrin and the nurse about our support group that we are wanting to start.  Apparently they have a space reserved in one of the clinicas in town and we are scheduled to start in August.  Orrin and I are going to open up with a presentation about the importance of group support and what the myths and superstitions are about HIV/Aids.  So Im excited about getting that started.

I think that's probably about it from the work standpoint.  Life apart from work is going well.  Because of Liga Nacional (The national basket ball tournament going on-chino's the assistent coach on one of the teams) my basketball life has picked-up..As a fan that is, haha..the other weekend I went with Chino to Santo Domingo for their second game, and they won!  As of right now they are first in the Nation...haha sounds so official, even though there are only 8 teams in the country participating in this tournament it's impressive that they are first because they are a brand new team.  This next week will be more challenging as the teams get a bit harder, but their team is strong and I am confident that they will do well.

I have vacation in August from the 6th till the 21st and have no idea what I will be doing..Im sure something will happen last minute...maybe I'll go to the beach. All I know is that I really do need a vacation.  So looking forward to Hannah coming in October!

Ok I'll sign out from here! Chaiiii

No comments:

Post a Comment