Sunday, April 15, 2012

Post Vacation

As always, the days after vacation are always dreadful. But I went into work that next monday with "animo". We were scheduled to start our open houses and present the results of the survey that was given to the first semester students last semester. I arrived to the office to find it closed. With all my keys in my backpack that had disappeared I had no way to get into the office. I went to the nurse who sometimes knows where Eulalia is and she told me that she had ran out saying she had a conference in one of the facultades. So I went to Civil y Mecanica to see what exactly the conference/meeting was about.

Turns out we were starting to give the presentation on the results that day! So I was thrown into the presentation and started out with the results. I think it was better this way because I really had no idea that I was supposed to present, so there was really no way for me to get nervous. I did my schpeal and then a psychologist did a little talk on how the students should have a mission in life and that they are not just another puzzle piece in the the whole scheme of things. That they should over come the pressures to use drugs and alcohol. It was a nice little talk and I think the students understood and all put attention. Then it was Eulalia's turn. I have come to realize that she is not the best with students. She had this whole presentation that was presented to what is called Consejo Universitario. Consejo Universitario or Academico is when all of the Dean's from the different colleges meet to discuss University matters. Anyway she decided to present practically the same presentation to second semester college students that she had presented to old men...this did not go over well. Within the first 15 minutes practically all of the students were distracted with other things and we had completely lost them.

After monday's presentation we did the open house on wednesday with music and various theatre. The students that organized it and did the open house also happened to be part of a christian group here in town. This caused some problems because after awhile it seemed that the focus was mainly about being able to have a healthy lifestyle with God in it. There were many religious references and at one point they prayed with the students!! I was very surprised and upset, so I talked with Eulalia, explaining how this University is what they call LAIKA (separation of church and state) and that everyone does not have the same religion, or any religion at that! She talked to the Students and we came to agreement that it would be a good idea to keep most of the religious statements out of the presentation and focus on promoting a healthy lifestyle with out drugs and alcohol.

Being the first week of presentations I believe that it went really well. Clearly there is a lot to change and I think that with time we will be adapting different things. The students that we are working with to coordinate the open houses are great though and very energetic about helping!

No comments:

Post a Comment