Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday the 13th

Im not really sure where the idea and superstition of Friday the 13th came about but I wonder what weird things will go down tonight. Today Jalel from the programam Vele Vele Vele will be coming to our University to promote "El primer Encuentro de la Juventud Universitaria por una UTA Saludable" (1st encounter of University youth for a healthier UTA) After all the work I´ve been doing in applying the surveys with addictions and mental health, we finally have results and will be launching the program today with an actor from the television. Im not sure if he´s very famous but he is well known around Ecuador.

Yesterday I ventured to the other campus to do the last of the surveys. I was driven in a University car to the Agronomia Campus where they focus just on veterinary and agricultural studies. The campus is literaly in the middle of no where. Well not exactly nowhere no where but on the way it seemed really far away from Ambato. The whole way there I was thinking about the St. Paul Campus in Minnesota and how beautiful it is. And to be honest I was kinda surprised when we arrived. It is a very green campus and there are lots of flowers and plants. The landscape is really beautiful.

I arrived to the facultad to find the Decano. He was already on edge because I was late (totally NOT my fault) and then was surprised to see me instead of Eulalia. She was supposed to come with me but at last minute had a meeting with the Rector and other people to take a picture for the paper for the event today. Of course I couldnt be there because I had to do the survey...such as life...

So the Decano took me up to the computer labs, there were only two. I went into the first and gave them the link...it didnt work...great...There was no reason why it shouldn´t work, I had done it so many times before...I tried to log onto the account but of course the internet was really slow. So I decided to go into the other lab and see if it worked for them. As I was writing I realized that in the first classroom I had left out ONE LETTER. I quickly returned and fixed it and it worked, thank god. I have no idea what the Decano thought of me but whatever, it worked and the students were able to do the survey. Because of the internet being so slow there were some glitches but for the most part everyone completed it. I was taken back to the Huachi campus and did some more promoting for the program today.

So along with our program there is an international festival and folckor dance going on. What we decided to do is put the two together and make a big program...we´ll see how it works out. This cultural festival is free and it turns out that they posted something in the paper about it being free. In turn our program is charging 50 cents. It´s for a good cause, the 50 cents goes towards the different volunteer programs here at the University (there aren´t that many....) So students saw that the event that takes place at the same time as ours is free and started complaining about how they had to pay. Luckily the money is going for a really good cause and I hope that the majority of people realize this..

I have to go get food for 100 people so I should get going. Wish us luck!!! And then it´s the weekend, YAY!!!

abrazos para todos

No comments:

Post a Comment