Monday, August 22, 2011

Saying goodbye..Sunday August 21, 2011

Well today was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I had talked with Vani's (my host brothers wife) family to set up a time for them to pick me up at the house and drop me off in Ambato on their way to Guaranda. We had said around 9. I woke up at 7:30 to get the last of my stuff packed up. My host mom came in to say good morning and wondered if I wanted to go to the market with them. They usually go at like 6 AM but had slept in from the night before. I told them that I probably couldn't because I wouldn't be back in time to leave, but she said that everyone was coming over for breakfast, perfect!

I went to the market one last time and it finally hit me that I would be leaving. I don't know what it was but the whole time I was trying to fight back tears. We got back to the house and I went to my room to pack and couldn't help but cry while I finished shoving the last of my stuff in a backpack. Cesar, the cook came up to see if I needed help and saw me crying and gave me a big hug! He's such a sweetheart! I tried to pull myself together when I went down to breakfast but couldn't do it. Of course they were like, "are you crying?" (well duh!) I told them yes, that I would miss them all very much. And of course they were all sympathetic which made me cry even more..We had a nice breakfast and I said my goodbyes. Mama Teresa started crying when we hugged goodbye. I gave them a card and had put some pictures together from my time with them. I hope they enjoy them.

It turns out that Sol and Amelia (nieces) were going to spend some time with their grandparents, so they were in the truck all the way to Ambato..quite the trip. We made a pit stop in Quito and had lunch with a long lost high school friend. I ate cow tongue..not that bad but Im glad I didn't know what it was till after I ate it!! We finally arrived in Ambato around 5:00. They dropped me off at the house and everything, such a kind family! Although Im pretty sure they were trying to set me up with their son the whole way, he was the one driving us, lol. We exchanged information and Im sure I will be seeing them these two years that Im here. Even though I just met them on saturday for the wedding, they felt like family, so caring.

I unpacked for the most part and went in search of my family because they weren't home when I arrived. I ran into them at the pharmacy on my way to the restaurant. My host mom gave me a really big hug! We walked back to the house and had dinner, hot chocolate, and bread, yum...lol. Time for sleep, big day tomorrow!!

peace

No comments:

Post a Comment