Thursday, July 7, 2011

July 7, 2011

So yesterday we had our tech trip presentations. They went really well, a lot better than I thought they would go. We were also explained how CAT tools work. CAT, which stands for community assessment tools, are all different types of surveys we will be expected to do during the first 3 month of our service. They range from health and nutrition to sexual reproductive health and HIV/Aids. We have to do a minimum of 100 surveys for different survey categories. Then at our reconnect in November we present what info we’ve gathered and start to look at how to implement projects.

They told us not to rush it and that it would be good to spend the first month just hanging out with the people in the community getting to know places and faces. I wonder if that will be easier said than done, but I’m thinking it won’t be too hard to just “hang out” for the 1st month.

After training a few of us got some tasty empanadas. Good thing I went straight home after because when I arrived my host family was seated with Lucy’s mother-in-law and brother-in-law. I guess they had come to talk about wedding details. It was a pretty fancy dinner and I guess the mom brought our family a live chicken. The sun is in training or school or whatever they do to be a part of the military here in Ecuador.

Apparently he’s on his way to Georgia for a month long training. It took me a couple hours to put two and two together to realize he probably wasn’t going to just any training but to the infamous Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation, formally known as the School of the Americas. To be honest I was completely shocked! It kinda freaked me out and I’m sure the family hasn’t thought twice about what it is exactly he will be doing there.
**
So today was pretty good. The highlight was our 2nd interview. I had mine with Bibi. We talked about successes and challenges. I expressed my desires of wanting to work with the young population and with a strong counterpart that wants to be involved in what I do so that we can create a fun, solid primary project. Hopefully I can also have the flexibility to do other secondary projects. I also asked for a somewhat warm place, just because I’ve grown up my whole life with winter from end of November till April. To be honest I'm sure I’ll be happy wherever I’m placed, but it doesn’t hurt to request, right?

We then had med sessions the rest of the day. Some of us went to get drinks and chat after training. We’ve def got a cool group of people! Oh yes, a couple med updates. Will, one of the volunteers messed up his elbow on Monday playing basketball and was medically evacuated yesterday to Washington D.C. for surgery. He’s from MN and actually graduated from the U in December. I hope he will be able to come back soon and continue on with training and get a site assignment. Bridget, who this past week fell into a pothole and messed up her foot, got x-rays and now has a boot-bummer, but I guess it could be worse.

Tomorrow we are working in the huertos (gardens), yay! Teaching the cooking taller on Saturday. Everyone in health is required to teach one cooking taller and talk about nutrition. We are making soup I do believe. Then it’s already the weekend!! Ahhh where is the time going!?!
Buenas noches

2 comments:

  1. I was finally able to take time and catch up on your blog. Thanks for all the great details. You have a lot going on with training, making friends, getting to know your host family and the PC. You seem to be doing well adjusting. It's fun to compare to our niece's PC experience. Her contract is up in November, and she's trying to decide whether to come home or re-up. Sending you lots of love and support!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're having a great time, Rach! I'm so jealous that you can have empanadas all the time again! :P

    ReplyDelete