Thursday, June 9, 2011

June 5, 2011

Well today was quite an exciting day! We met our host families! It was so nerve wracking because we’ve talked/prepped so much for it and I just wanted to meet them. After living with several host families you’d think I’d have the drill down..nope.. So they had all the host families come into the common area and then we filed in. They read oru names, we stepped forward and then they read our host families names and they came to greet us.

My host mother and sister came to get me. My host mother’s name is Teresa and my sister Lucy. Then we FINALLY went into Tumbaco-the training center is a little outside the actual city and the whole PC complex is enclosed with fence. They wouldn’t let us leave the 2 days we were there so it was nice to finally get out.

We drove to the family restaurant to meet my host dad-Jorge. Apparently he used ot be an accountant for Pilsner-local beer. Now that he’s retired he and Teresa decided to open a restaurant, which seems a bit opposite but the good was good and it seems to be doing quite well. We finally came to the house. Lucy, who is a chef, not sure what that means…like if the qualifications are the same as in the U.S. started a restaurant on the 1st level of our house and so we live on the second floor.

The house is nice-typical…nothing special, my room is pretty big, I have a little desk, shelving and a dresser. I unpacked some and then Lucy and I drove a little around Tumbaco. We went to the Mall and talked with Moviestar (phone company) to see if they could unlock my phone, which they said they could, but after the guy saying it was worth about $1000 dollars here I decided to not take the risk of having it stolen and I’ll probably just get a regular phone. All I want to do is text and call.

We then went to pick up/see a friend of Lucy’s. Her name is Paula and she is so funny and super nice. They showed me to an internet café where I could finally e-mail people!! I didn’t have a lot of time so I just e-mailed family. Hopefull I can get on a sched of checking e-mail and maybe even skyping. The internet café is pretty nice, it has skype with a camera and microphone so I’d be set! Plus it’s super cheap. The other option is for people to call me from a calling card or something like that. I’ll let you know the number once I get a phone, hopefully soon.

We then went into Quito-Paula, Lucy, Jorge, Teresa y yo. We went to the centro colonial/historico, which is a gorgeous place with narrow stone streets and restored colonial buildings. I felt kinda bad that I had seen it all already and fibbed a couple times saying I hadn’t remembered going to some of the places. It was really nice family time! Lucy is the best & Paula is awesome! Both my host parents are very nice and we all were joking around the whole night.

We came home, had some tea with pan y queso. I was exhausted do now I'm ready to sleep. I’ve still got a lot of unpacking to do in the morning..sooo many clothes!! Plus they already gave us homework for Monday. These 11 weeks are going to fly by…we’ll see how the 2 years goes. I still can’t believe I'm here finally doing the Peace Corps. I get these random thoughts of home but nothing serious (homesickness that is)

Buenas Noches

No comments:

Post a Comment